Math is fine, thinking/theorizing is fine….especially if they are also accompanied by an awareness of the nature and signatures of paradigms and paradigm changes.
Here are the primary reasons why economists cannot seem to get beyond math and theorizing and do not/cannot see the new paradigm.
Macro-economics is only a recent discipline unconsciously designed to obscure and prevent solutions rather than solve them because:
1) The financialization of capitalism has been continual for its entire history and its coalescence was well under way before macro-economics came into being.
2) Private Banking/Finance enables the virtual monopolization of the means of survival for individuals and enterprise, and also enforces upon them its paradigm of Debt Only for the form and vehicle for the distribution of money.
3) As retail sale is the terminal end of the legitimate economic/actually productive process and Finance/money creation is increasingly post retail sale it is a parasite upon the rest of the legitimate economy.
4) Economists attempting to be dutiful scientists tend to ignore and/or reject concepts that even remotely reflect spirituality even though philosophically such concepts can be stripped of any supernatural or religious bias, and so they lack a clear and relevant philosophical concept of grace as in gifting/the free gift which, being in logical/conceptual opposition to the current paradigm of Debt/Burden Only, tends to obscure the new paradigm of Monetary Gifting.
5) Finally economic thought still adheres to a prejudice for employment even though technology has reduced the need for human effort and AI is more and more intrusively destroying both aggregate demand and the need for the input of human employment. There is nothing inherently wrong with employment as an economic factor of course and it still has a long way to go, though an ever decreasingly operant one, but positively acculturating leisure as in self chosen attentive purposeful activity is the healthy and intelligent route forward for economic systems and for humanity.
Paradigm perception and paradigm changes are deep and transformative events both mentally-conceptually and temporally, and thus require such fundamental openness and deep and incisive examination.